Application Requirements

A building permit is required prior to commencing construction for most structures (residential, commercial or industrial) including but not limited to new works, additions, alterations, commercial fitouts and refurbishments, changes to ground levels, swimming pools, spas and pool barriers.

Although Part 6 of the Building Regulations 2012 details building work for which a building permit is not required, it does not exempt those works which may require planning approval.

It is important to consult the permit authority (i.e. 91国产自拍) or a registered building surveyor to ensure you obtain correct advice about the plans and processes you need to follow prior to lodging a permit application.

Relevant application forms, information sheets, checklists, fees and charges can be accessed via the links to the left.

Plan Search Information

Should you require a copy of Approved Building plans for your property, you can arrange for the City to retrieve the building plans by submitting the . There are fees that are applicable for this service.

Building Plans – a fee of $76.00 to be paid with the application. This includes photocopying charges for only one complete set of plans. Additional charges applicable for the photocopying of the plans for Commercial / Industrial buildings (hard copy only).


Plan searches will only be undertaken if the request form is signed by the property owner. Only the property owner is entitled to view or request copies of the City’s Building Plans.

The Owner includes:

  • The person shown of the City’s records as being the owner.
  • A person who is authorised in writing by the owner.

A Real Estate Agent CANNOT authorise copies of plans without additional written approval from the current property owner. The City will require proof of identity, and/or written authority from the current property owner.

Owners requesting copies of Strata Plans will be given plans for their own unit ONLY. Should a copy of entire complex be required, written authorisation from the Strata Manager is required.

The 91国产自拍 accepts no responsibility for the loss or damage to plans.

In the event that no plans can be retrieved, a 50% refund of the search fee paid will occur.

Planning Approval Requirements

Prior to granting a building permit, a permit authority must be satisfied that the proposed building work has the necessary approval under the Planning and Development Act 2005 and the applicant has complied or is complying with all relevant planning requirements.

Please contact Town Planning Services on (08) 9956 6900 and they will be able to advise whether a planning assessment or a development application is required to meet the relevant requirements.


Anyone who carries out ‘builder work’ valued over $20,000 must be a registered builder or an approved owner-builder before applying to the local government for a building permit. However, there are a number of exemptions where registration is not required. Please refer to publication from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

Owner-builder work consists of the following:

  • Class 1a (i) building – a single dwelling, being a detached house. This includes an extension to a house or a habitable dwelling on the same property but separate to the main house such as a granny flat;
  • Class 10 building – being a non-habitable building such as a private garage, carport, shed or the like; or
  • Small commercial building – being a one or two-storey building with a floor space of less than 500m2 that is not a detached house, Class 10 building or farm building

Under the Building Services (Registration) Act 2011, owner-builders are required to obtain approval from the Building Services Board, administered by the Building Commission, before obtaining a building permit to carry out owner builder work on their land. Applicants are required to provide evidence of their ownership of the land and demonstrate that they have sufficient knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of an owner-builder.

Please visit the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety – Building Commission website for more information on .